Friday, November 5, 2010

A Day at the Races



Springtime in Melbourne signals the start of the Spring Carnival which is a series of racing events at Flemington Racing Grounds. We went to the biggest one hosted by Emirates airline, Melbourne Cup, its supposedly estimated to cost over a million dollars for the one day. I got a dress from this really cute store Bardot a few months ago and it was light pink and I wanted to get nude shoes. I found these beautiful shoes for super cheap at Novo shoes and then I needed to go get a hat or a fascinator. My friend Jess and I went to this big department store here called 'Myers' and they had an ENTIRE floor of just hats.

It was absolute chaos in the hat department, but it was a beautiful sight. The department was split up into colour coordinated sections and I fell in love with a bunch of the hats. I tried on a massive light pink hat with lace coming down over the face and then checked the price tag, 999$!!! The hats can be VERY expensive, I opted for a little cream fascinator with feathers coming off the top. I got a great deal for it because it was so close to the races. I was nervous when I got home that everything wouldn't match but I was really pleasantly surprised when it all came together!

The next day Ash drove me to my girlfriends house before the races. I made it 4 steps outside the front door and fell on the ground. It was so funny but made me SO wary of the next 5 hours at the races. Anyway we took a tram to the racecourse and when we got there it was POURING rain. I got off the tram and realized it was a massive walk to the front entrance, in the rain, in my 7 inch heels - DOWNHILL hahaha. I don't know how I made it but I did and the rain stopped right as we entered!

Once we were inside the grounds there was an array of outstanding outfits and hats. I was in fashion heaven! Two boys taught us how to bet and I bet on two horses. The favourite 'so you think' and just a random other one 'maluckyday'. And my two horses placed!!! But I bet on the win for 'so you think' and he came in third. But I won $11.50 for betting on 'maluckyday'! Not bad for a 20$ bet! The rain picked up again for the race but we had an umbrella luckily! We headed home after a successful races and I wish I was going to more! It's honestly something everyone should experience in a lifetime. The whole city shuts down for the Melbourne cup. Shops are closed and everything, it's crazy! An estimated 100,000 + people were at the races! Next time I'm wearing a MASSIVE hat.

I wish you were here to come Mom, and you too Monique. I could SO see the Harvison women out for a day at the races. We need to go colour coordinated! It's happening. I miss you all immensely you don't even know. I miss my family so much!!!

Love you all!
xo