Wednesday, October 20, 2010

In the Land of OZ


I decided since I've been here three months now I'd tell you all the little differences and interesting things I've noticed while in Australia.

- they don't have orange cheese here, they have white cheddar but no orange cheddar cheese, I can't find it anywhere and I'm in desperation for a piece of old cheddar.

- they don't have 'ketchup' they call in tomato sauce and it tastes very similar

- their milk comes as whole, lite or skinny (2%, 1% or skim!)

- at coffee shops you can order lattes, short blacks, long blacks, cappucinos, baby cinos etc. no just plain old coffees

- at meals if you ask for water they give you a massive bottle of cold water and glasses for free, it's great!

- no free refills, anywhere.

- Melbourne has the most cafes and restaurants per square metre than anywhere else in the world!

- Their appetizers are called entrees, entrees are called mains & then of course dessert!

- You can absolutely not find a meal for under 10$, 20$ is average, even for a burger and fries.

- Their tram system is amazing, so fast and takes you anywhere in the city, nobody pays but if you're caught the fine is 170$ +

- They call McDonalds, Mac'rs even on commercials!

- The boys wear short shorts, really short shorts.

- People say 'reckon' a lot, including profs, they'll ask your opinion by "what do you reckon?"

- Their large is = to our small size in North America

- Sushi stands, they have so many sushi places where you just walk up and pay 2$ for a pre-made roll and eat it uncut in your hand

- Everything surrounds footy, it's a huge culture for aussies. The players you'll see at the gym or yoga class and they are just respected like none other. Australia has the second largest membership and fan base for their teams in the entire world just behind Manchester United.

- They love army boots, even girls, like little lace up boots, cute - but not my style

- Birkenstocks are like Grandma shoes here

- You can never be too dressed up and heels are always an option

- Prostitution is legal here! I don't like that, but anyway - they have legal brothels all over the place and you can just see them like stores they say like "Ladies for Gentlemen" and such, so weird!

- They have this drink called lemon-lime bitters and it can be alcoholic or not and it is DELICIOUS

- THEY ARE OBSSESSED WITH PIES. What I mean by pies is little baked pastries with meat in them, sometimes veggies but those are called pasties. So like meat pies. They have them at sporting games, bakeries, grocery stores, everywhere - and now I AM OBSESSED. They are not the best thing for you but they are actually absolutely addictive. I love plain beef pastries (sorry skinny bitch!) and Ash took me to the #1 pie shop in ALL OF AUSTRALIA, Parkers Pies. They had alligator and kangaroo and other crazy pies! But I stuck to my plain beef and it was SO GOOD. You get sauce to go on top (ketchup) and it's just heaven. Ash won't let me get them anymore but now I'm craving one so bad so I may sneak one in tomorrow afternoon while he's at school haha. But our vacation is coming up so I have to run like 10k to work that off! Anyway, PIES. It's reason alone to visit/live in Australia. ALSO another point on pies, they have a cute little shop downtown called Pie Face that sells pies and I think that's my next pie venture. Anyway, I digress...

- Australians love their cargo pants. Males mostly. Ash loves his and at first I thought it was weird but now I'm digging it, all army combat ish haha.

- They use the terms bogan and feral a lot which mean like hick, slacker, lazy, gross

- they love little bathers also, the boys, like tiny ass bathing suit bottoms, but i like it!

Thats all I can think of for now! But I'll keep you updated with all the idiosyncrasies that come up!

Much Love,

Sarah