Monday, August 16, 2010

Little Aussie Things




Not much exciting has been occurring in my life lately. Last week on Friday Ash and I went to RMIT (the residence all of my friends from Cairns are staying in) to celebrate one month in Australia! We had a potluck, I made a really good greek pasta salad - it was a hit!

So Ash has put me on a serious fitness regime for the half marathon I'm running in October. I ran 10.32 km this morning around Carlton Gardens. Literally right across the street from me is this massive garden with the museum in the centre and tons of paths and fountains and trees. It's a little over 2 km around and so beautiful to run through. I've been finding the first few k's of my runs really difficult but once I'm past the 5/6 k mark I feel so much better. My time hasn't been very good. I'm working on putting the k's in my legs first and then improving on time. I get scared to increase my pace too much if I'm doing a long run because I don't want to lose stamina. Ash and I watched the movie Run Fatboy Run the other night and it has served as my motivation for the race. Ash has challenged me to 30 k's by Friday and I am determined to make it. My garmin has been a lifesaver and I'm really starting to figure it out. Yesterday I uploaded all my runs to this online program and you can see your pace, distance, time, day, heartrate and everything, it's such a great training tool.

BIG problem here with running is that the cars go the other way! When I'm crossing the road I'm always looking down the wrong way, I've had a couple close calls so now I just run around the gardens to save myself any street crossing. It's funny, I've noticed it's not just the traffic on the roads that goes on the left. People walk on the left side going up the stairs, the escalators in shopping malls and department stores are on the left going down and up, it's interesting!

I'm loving our house here more and more. It's so close to little shops and restaurants and cafes. I just heard on the news that Melbourne has more cafes and restaurants per square meter than anywhere else in the world. It is also the worlds 3rd most liveable city and used to be the first. It may have dropped because of the shootings!!! News: on the street behind my house literally 30 seconds from my doorstep two men were shot to death in an arcade! Ash and I went out and saw the ambulance and the search lights but then we had coffee out on the street at a little cafe, I figured there's such a police presence it cant happen twice. So that was a little madness! I've taken a few pictures of our house/our room that I will post so you can check it out. It's cozy!

Lots of love,

Sarah